E-drawings Pro for ipad
Earlier this year SolidWorks released e-drawings for ipad. A $1.99 app that allows users to view and interact with SolidWorks files on their mobile ipad device. While it was a welcome app, SolidWorks was a little late to the party and the feature list was a bit short. Today, SolidWorks releases e-drawings Pro for ipad. A $9.99 app that allows users to view and interact with SolidWorks files on their mobile ipad device with all the missing functionality users asked for (and have come to expect from the PC/MAC version) shortly after the first version was released.
An upgrade in price should mean an upgrade in features and this holds true for the Pro version of e-drawings for ipad. I haven’t actually used e-drawings Pro for ipad myself but looking at the press release, SolidWorks has spent some time enhancing the feature set. The press release is as follows.
“eDrawings® Pro for iPad is the professional 2D and 3D CAD collaboration app for the iPad that
eDrawings® Pro for iPad is the professional 2D and 3D CAD collaboration app for the iPad that
can view native SolidWorks® files (part, assembly, drawings), eDrawings files, and DraftSight®
(DWG™, DXF™) files. You can easily view models and access configurations, drawing sheets,
and exploded views for eDrawings files published from SolidWorks and all other supported CAD
Markup! Measure! Section! eDrawings® Pro for iPad takes you to the next level of 2D and 3D
collaboration with more functionality, including dynamic cross section views, measurements,
markups and annotations, and the unique ability to share it all by email!
With a brand new intuitive user interface and improved performance, eDrawings® Pro for iPad
enables you to dynamically view cross sections of your models in XY, YZ, or ZX directions from
both sides and easily drag the cross section plane on screen or with a convenient slider. You
can also measure distances in your designs, with easy-to-use selection filters for faces, edges,
vertices, and holes.
With eDrawings® Pro for iPad you can create markups on your drawings, including text notes,
freehand notations, dimensions, cross-section views, photos, and camera snapshots.
You can share your marked up eDrawings files with others for review and further comments. All
markups with history are saved within the eDrawings file.
* New intuitive and easy-to-use user interface
* Significant performance improvements for opening, viewing, and interacting with all types of
* Open 3D (EASM, EPRT, SLDASM, SLDPRT), 2D (EDRW, SLDDRW, DWG, DXF), and associated
files from any source: email attachments, cloud storage services (Dropbox™, Google Drive™,
SkyDrive®, YouSendIt®, and others), email, web and FTP sites, networks, and iTunes® File
* Zoom, pan, and rotate your 3D and 2D CAD data using multi-touch
* Browse your assembly components tree, model configurations and drawing sheets
* Hide, show, or make components transparent
* Select View mode: standard orthogonal views, shaded with edges, perspective view
* Play animated 3D standard views as well as 2D drawing views
* View your designs in full screen and double tap to fit it on screen
* Double tap zooms to drawing views
* Markup your designs and send to others, and read others’ markups
* Measure your design data
* View cross sections of your 3D designs
* Sample files included
Sounds great and I’m sure it is. Looks like the ipad and PC/MAC versions share the same features now and the SolidWorks development team has done their jobs well. If you’re in need of ipad friendly view, mark-up and interact tools for your SolidWorks files this is must have software. For the next 30 days you can purchase e-drawings Pro for ipad at the app store for $4.99. After that the price increases to $9.99.